As a reputable and trusted Dallas green home builder, you would never think we would reveal that there may be a “downside” to building green, but truthfully, everything that is basically good does have a down side. That being said, we want to inform those who are thinking of building a home in the metro Dallas/Flower Mound area of both the good and bad of building a home that is environmentally friendly.
First off, here is a very important reason you may want to consider building a “green” home. In the U.S., buildings that are not “green” consume 68% of the electricity used, 39% of total energy consumed and account for 38% of all carbon dioxide emissions. Some pretty compelling reasons to go green!
Pros and cons of building a green home in Dallas
- Money savings over time. Green homes are more energy efficient.
- Financially sound. Green building often means an increase in the appraised value of your home and easier resale.
- Better health for your family. Natural products used in building mean far fewer dangerous chemicals. Your family is healthier, with fewer allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems.
- Fewer repairs. Green home building in Dallas involves the use of high quality building materials that are more durable. This means fewer repairs for you.
- Less waste in landfills. Building an environmentally friendly home means anywhere from 50% to 90% less waste when the job is done – less waste in our landfills.
- Dependence on sun, wind and geothermal energy means reduced dependence on conventional sources of energy.
- Green home building is usually a bit more costly initially, but you easily make up the difference in energy savings and reduced repairs over time.
- The use of solar panels is not possible in every home because of factors including excessive shade, objects that block out the sun (trees, other buildings) or the angle of the roof.
As you can see, the pros of building a green home in Dallas far outweigh the cons. If you’re considering a new home in the area, contact the professionals at Bud Bartley Homes today. For more than 30 years our team of talented, professional craftsmen have delivered homeowners’ dreams.